"I will get students out into the field more to experience the awesomeness of the bay; the more the students see/experience, the more they'll care."
Yosemite Field Institute: Climate and Water from Glacier to Valley
This year’s Yosemite Field Institute theme is Climate and Water from Glacier to Valley. The field institute will feature outdoor camping at Crane Flats Campground and hiking experiences in Yosemite National Park.
Join some of your CIB instructors for a rustic, outdoor camping and hiking experience after the Sierra Institute! Take this opportunity to continue to go deeper into your CIB field training and to enjoy camping, hiking, and the natural history of Yosemite National Park with some of your CIB educators. Or take this class on its own and learn about the effects of climate and water on the formation of Yosemite National Park while camping and hiking. CIB instructors will share tools to use with students to get them interested and excited about science in the outdoors and the natural history of Yosemite National Park with attendees.
To register, please click the register now button at the top of this page. Or read on for more specific details.
Course Dates: Sunday July 9th-Wednesday July 12th (registration includes camping Sunday July 9th and Wednesday July 12th)
- Location: Crane Flats Campground in Yosemite National Park
We will provide you with the following materials:
- Your own field journal
- Monday - Wednesday: Breakfast, bagged lunch and dinner.
- Thursday morning: Breakfast
We ask that you bring the following:
- A backpack/daypack big enough for your journal and supplies
- Camping gear
- A reusable water bottle or two
- Comfortable hiking shoes
- A Sun hat
- Sun screen
- Camera & binoculars (if you have them; we will have some sets of binoculars to share if you do not have your own)
- Snacks that you especially enjoy during a long day of hiking. If you have eating restrictions please bring supplemental food as we will have limited options
- Evening beverages you would like to enjoy around the campfire
- Camping chair for sitting around the fire in the evenings
We will be hiking through Yosemite National Park and the Sierra National Forest, which is at a higher altitude than many California Coastal communities and the Central Valley. We strongly suggest that all participants are capable walkers. Remember to break in your shoes before you get there. If you are worried about hiking, start walking 20-60 minutes per day now and you'll be fine.
Cancellation & More Information
While registration fees are non-refundable, we understand that plans change. If you need to drop out of the course, would like more information, or are having trouble registering for the course, please e-mail our Education Department at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 925-631-2481.